An ankle sprain is a soft tissue injury that most frequently happens when the ligaments on the outside of the ankle are stretched or torn. The severity of the sprain can impact the degree of damage as well as the type and duration of treatment. If not properly treated, ankle sprains may develop into long-term problems.
Causes of Ankle Sprain
- Injuries, especially those incurred while playing sports
- Stumbling over or tripping on uneven ground
- Unnatural twisting of or force on the ankle bones of the foot
Symptoms of Ankle Sprain
- Difficulty walking on the affected ankle's foot
- Immediate pain after a twist or injury that may also be connected with a popping sensation
Treatments for Ankle Sprain
- Applying ice to reduce swelling
- Compressive bandages to immobilize and support the injury during healing
- Elevation of the ankle
- Resting the foot and avoiding placing weight on it, sometimes with the use of crutches
- Surgery to repair and tighten the damaged ligaments
- Use of anti-inflammatory medication to reduce inflammation, pain, and swelling
RICE is an acronym that can help you remember the home remedies you can use to treat your ankle sprain: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.
Prevention of Ankle Sprain
- Avoid walking or running on uneven surfaces
- Exercising and stretching to help you maintain balance, flexibility, and strength in your foot and ankle
- Wearing shoes that fit appropriately
- Put your cell phone away when walking
Seek Immediate Medical Attention for Ankle Sprains
- Untreated ankle sprains often lead to a lifetime of chronic ankle instability, please seek immediate medical attention for any ankle injury.
Text Us About Ankle Sprains
At New Orleans Podiatry Associates, we are experts in treating ankle sprains. Our lead podiatrist, Dr. Edward M. Lang, has been helping patients resolve ankle sprains for over 30 years. Please text our HIPAA-compliant communication platform at (650) 405-0442 and chat directly with our team to learn more about ankle sprain relief. You do not have to live with ankle sprains. We are foot and ankle specialists, and we have helped thousands of patients reclaim their foot health.
Call Us for an Appointment
At New Orleans Podiatry Associates, we are experts in treating foot and ankle pain. Our lead podiatrist, Dr. Edward M. Lang, has been helping patients resolve foot and ankle pain for over 30 years. Please call our main number at (504)-897-3627 for both our New Orleans and Metaire locations, and speak directly with our team to learn more about how New Orleans Podiatry Associates can help you get back on your feet. We are foot and ankle specialists, and we have helped thousands of patients reclaim their foot health.
Request an Appointment for Ankle Sprains!