Toenail fungus is also known as onychomycosis. Fungi make up one of the kingdoms of the natural world and include organisms like yeasts and mushrooms. They feed off of organic matter, and since we are organic, fungi are very much at home living and thriving on and within the human body.
Causes of Toenail Fungus
- Circulatory problems
- Excessive sweating
- History of athlete's foot
- Immuno-deficiency conditions
- Injury to the nail bed, which makes the area more susceptible to infection
- Walking barefoot in damp, public areas such as around swimming pools and in locker rooms or showers
Symptoms of Toenail Fungus
- Appearance of white marks
- Darker color to nails
- Foul odor
Treatments for Toenail Fungus
- Laser nail therapy
- Self sanding of nails in conjunction with use of topical anti-fungal medications like Tetra's Formula 7 or Formula 3.
- Oral medications ( in difficult cases).
- Removal of nail ( in extreme cases).
Prevention of Toenail Fungus
- Avoid sharing your nail clippers and nail files with others.
- Avoid sharing your socks and shoes with others.
- Treat your shoe collection with an all natural, antimicrobial silver spray like Tetra's Clean Sweep.\
- Protect your feet from injury, including from injury brought on by cutting your nails too short.
- Wash and dry your feet thoroughly before going to bed, and apply a non-prescription anti-fungal cream to the entire foot from the ankle down. Use the cream nightly and apply it less frequently over time.
- Wear dry cotton socks, and change them two or three times a day if necessary.
- Wear dry shoes that allow air to circulate around your feet (tight, enclosed, moist shoes contribute to fungal toenail infections).
- Wear shower sandals or shower shoes when you are at a public pool or shower.
For more information on our toenail fungus treatment in New Orleans or Metairie, LA contact us on Live Chat or call us (504) 897-3627. To request an appointment after hours, click here and fill out a quick request form.